Re: [debian-hurd-Patches][305130] native backend for hal

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 09:39:00PM +0100, Guillem Jover wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 15:51:07 +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:

> > We'll have to fix things like udev instead :/...
>
> I don't think udev upstream would accept patches to support anything
> non-Linux.
>
> AFAIU upstream for the HAL replacement (DeviceKit* among others),
> considers it an interface to be implemented by the other non-Linux
> systems, by way of their native system libraries and interfaces.

For Xorg input device hotplugging at least, the plan is to use libudev
directly on Linux, and whatever other native hotplugging mechanisms are
available on other systems.

I tend to consider it a good thing: once we actually decide to implement
some hotplugging infrastructure, we can design it in a hurdish fashion,
rather than HAL forcing us to use the non-hurdish dbus...

-antrik-