Re: tcsh not properly installed?

On Nov 20, 2007 12:17 PM, Javier Vasquez <jevv.cr@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 20, 2007 9:53 AM, Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 08:44:00PM -0600, Javier Vasquez wrote:
> > > # ls -l /usr/bin/tcsh
> > > lrwxr-xr-x root root 13 Nov 19 19:07 /usr/bin/tcsh -> /usr/bin/tcsh
> > >
> > > The weird thing is that I saw several bytes getting downloaded to just
> > > be an empty package.  Does any one know if this is just a package
> > > issue, and if the binaries are somewhere in the /var/cache so that
> > > there's a work around for the package?
> >
> > Do you have a /usr->. symlink maybe?  This might one of the cases where
> > this breaks things.
> >

> > Michael
>
> Yes I do.  But in a previous hurd installation it happened the same
> thing, and I didn't have the symlink at that time...  Back then I
> decided to compile/install tcsh from upstream, but seeing the package
> getting downloaded makes me believe the binaries and everything should
> be somewhere, just a matter of knowing what to do, :), but then of
> course I don't...
>
> --
> Javier

OK, I went back to my bad old habit.  I downloaded from upstream the
latest 6.15 version, and the old bug I found way back in 2005 is still
there, so the same changes are required on this new version (changing
rcmd by tcsh_rcmd globally under ma.setp.c).  This fix was suggested
by Christos, and is still required 2 years later, :)...  I've mailed
him back to see if he can get rid of it, but of course he said he
would 2 years ago, :)...

I shared a patch for the tcsh version of 2005 which was kept in the
archives I guess:

http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-hurd@lists.debian.org/msg17075.html

But I'm not sure if the patch can be applied as it was (I just
manually changed ma.setp.c)...  The reason I had to build tcsh from
upstream at 2005 is the same I did it Today, the package creates a
link to itself, and at that time I didn't have the symlink of usr
pointing to /...

Maybe I'm the only one who likes tcsh to look for it under hurd, :)...

Bye,

--
Javier