Re: Compiling glibc-2.5

On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 10:04:26PM +0800, k. bottle wrote:
> I am trying to compiling glibc-2.5 on Hurd but have not succeeded until now.
> I list my steps below and expect your help.
>
> (1) Install Hurd using Debian-k14-Hurd cd1.
>
> (2) apt-get libc0.3-dev and mig.
> and so update glibc to version 2.5 and gcc to 4.1.3.

In general, "apt-get install build-essential && apt-get build-dep
libc0.3" should be the canonical way to make sure you have everything to
build a package (glibc in this case).

> (3) Download lastest glibc-2.5 tarball (do I need to apply any patches?)

Yes.

> (4) configure --without-cvs --disable-profile --prefix= ;
>     make

Right now, it is highly advised to add --without-__thread --without-tls
to the configure options.

To have a look at the current set of patches applied by Debian to the
glibc-2.5 package, look here:

http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-glibc/glibc-package/branches/glibc-2.5/debian/patches/hurd-i386/?rev=0&sc=0

Some of them (some of the local-* patches) might be Debian specific and
not strictly needed for building glibc.

Alternatively, you could run "apt-get source glibc" and then
"debian/rules patch" to get a patched glibc source tree under
build-tree, from where you can configure/make.

Michael