Re: Brand New to GNU Hurd

Thank you for the link, the instructions were very helpful. As I mentioned to Praveen A, I was unable to get it working in qemu, yet. I was able to get through to #3. Configuring The System, upon rebooting I do not get to the login prompt. All I have is "GNH Hurd <null> {tty3}" at the top of a blank screen. I can type stuff but nothing happens, & I again have to Hardboot.

Now I notice in the instructions, after running ./native-install for the second time I should get asked the following questions;
Choose "1. Dialog" frontend.
Choose "3. medium"
"Do you want system wide readable home directories?" type "yes"
"Should tcpd setup paranoid hosts.allow and hosts.access" type "yes"
I do not get asked these questions. The script ends, but I forget what it said. I could re-run it & see what it does say if that would be of help. Regardless, I was able to reboot & edit "/etc/default/hurd-console" with "/etc/default/hurd-console ='true'". It was after this point that I wound up with the error mentioned above.

As a side note, an because I could not think of anything else to try, I mounted the hurd filesystem on my Sid install. Formated a target partition & copied the whole hurd filesystem to the new partition. When I boot to that partition from grub (not running qemu) it runs throught the boot process, ends with several errors (to fast I can not read them) & reboots.

Looks like it's time to try this on another computer. If anything jumps out at you for sorting this out let me know.

Cheers