Re: heads up

At Thu, 17 Mar 2005 07:57:33 +0100,
Alfred M Szmidt wrote:

>    That might not be a bad thing anyway, but it would be more work and
>    a change.
>
> The work needed would be minimal, and I doubt you would need any
> changes.  There has always been a seperate archive where Debian
> GNU/Hurd has put hacks.

I think you are underestimating the work involved.

I have considered a "Debian port outside of Debian" a couple of years
ago very carefully, for some reasons.  And it is not an easy task, if
you want to do it properly.  There is a major difference between
having a couple of extra packages on a server, and maintaining a full
archive and keep it in sync.  Also there are considerable extra costs,
like keeping up a mirror network etc, which are all administrative but
have to be done by someone.

It's certainly not impossible, but I'd rather cut off my arm than do it.
Or work on a new, less ambitious distribution than Debian.