Re: Testers wanted: New installation method

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 03:13:42PM +0100, Pierre THIERRY wrote:
> Scribit Michael Banck dies 02/08/2004 hora 15:02:
> > I'd like to get some testers for a new installation method. It is
> > based on Roland's ext2 xattr-hurd patches for Linux-2.6, which enables
> > us to extract a base tarball with intact passive translators, thus not
> > requiring native-install.
>
> I have two questions about this:
>
> - is this patch planned to be included in stock kernels?

Yes, but currently it does not apply anymore as ext2 got changed between
2.6.8 and 2.6.9 I think.  Roland planned to revise the patch for the
current kernel and then eventually submit it upstream, as I understand
it.

> - is it possible to add and configure translators from GNU/Linux (i.e.
>   are there utilities to do that) or the tarball must be created under
>   an already working Hurd system?

You can set/get translators via setfattr/getfattr on GNU/Linux, though
you can of course only make use of them on GNU/Hurd.  I created the
tarball from GNU/Linux using star, though I think the translators were
created by native-install for that one.

See the crosshurd package, it tries to set the initial translators with
setfattr in case an xattr-hurd kernel is present.

Michael