Re: Thanks for your work

Am Sun, 02 Jan 2005 19:10:08 +0100 schrieb Jason Stechschulte:

> On Sat, Jan 01, 2005 at 10:55:20PM +0100, Johannes Rohr wrote:
>> Am Fri, 31 Dec 2004 05:00:11 +0100 schrieb Jason Stechschulte:
>> > is it normally necessary to do a re-install to
>> > upgrade the version of Hurd?
>>
>> Of course not! This is Debian!
>>
>> Neither do you have to download any CD
>> images. Just fix your /etc/apt/sources.list:

This is the other line you need. You should probably place it right at the
top of your sources.list:

deb http://ftp.gnuab.org/debian unreleased main

> You know someone really should slap me upside the head for asking that.
> I've been a Debian GNU/Linux user for years and years, so I should have
> known it would be that easy.
>
> I did read in the documentation that in the past, it has been
> recommended to do a fresh install at some points, but that it is
> normally not required.   So I'll just keep the system up to date in the
> normal fashion and be notified on the lists if a complete re-install is
> recommended.

Well, yes, I've got the impression that the CD sets are less likely to
have broken depends, given that they have been compiled with the idea of
bringing things into a releasable state. Therefore doing a complete
reinstall from a CD set may sometimes be easier than dist-upgrading.

I don't know how well dist-upgrading from one CD set to another works. Has
anyone ever tested?

Thanks,

Johannes