Re: Thanks for your work

Am Fri, 31 Dec 2004 05:00:11 +0100 schrieb Jason Stechschulte:

[...]

> So today I downloaded K8, blew away my system and re-installed.  Since
> this release supports partitions over 2GB, a re-install was definitely
> in order; however, is it normally necessary to do a re-install to
> upgrade the version of Hurd?

[...]

Of course not! This is Debian!

Neither do you have to download any CD
images. Just fix your /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb-src ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free

(replace ".de" with the country code for your closest Debian mirror, e.g.
.us)

You probably need another source stanza for those packages with are not
yet in the official Debian archive. They used to be hosted by
alpha.gnu.org but IIRC this has changed. Check out the wiki.

After that, run

apt-get update

and then

apt-get upgrade

Another option is

apt-get dist-upgrade

which will probably upgrade more packages than the simple upgrade. But be
careful as dist-upgrade will also happily remove installed packages in
order to resolve conflicts.

Thanks,

Johannes

--