Re: questions about debian/hurd...

On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 08:12:30AM -0700, Leonardo Pereira wrote:
> Why the default console of debian gnu/hurd isn't the
> hurd-console, like the Bee GNU/Hurd?

Send patches.  However, I seem to remember people telling me Bee just
starts up the Hurd console once at bootup and does not bother about
respawning.

We could probably do that, but it would be nicer to have a respawn
mechanism, where you could (for bonus points) edit
/etc/default/hurd-console, hit ctrl+alt+backspace to tell the console to
detach/reattach and get the new settings.

One issue is that /etc/default/hurd-console is pretty sensitive to
syntax errors, and just respawning endlessly will make your system
unsable in case of problems.

See http://lists.debian.org/debian-hurd/2005/03/msg00078.html for my
last attempt, nobody replied to that yet.

> there are a Hurd Live-CD, it is now time to think
> about a 'L' series of debian gnu/hurd installer that
> runs over hurd instead of linux?

Those two things are pretty seperate.  Yes, we can boot the Hurd from a
CD now, but I don't think it would make sense to port boot-floppies to
the Hurd, as they are obsolete, deprecated and unmaintained.

However, porting any of base-config, debootstrap and debian-installer
will get us nearer to a native Debian GNU/Hurd install, with the
possible intermediate step of booting d-i from GNU/Linux,
cross-debootstrapping hurd-i386 from it and then running base-config
after booting into the Hurd.

Michael

--
Michael Banck