Re: sysvinit and hurd

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 06:49:20PM +0200, Marco Gerards wrote:

> You are partially right.  GNU/Hurd doesn't use sysvinit *yet*.  If I
> understand it correctly, people are porting sysvinit to GNU/Hurd.
> Perhaps it was already done.
>
> The bug report you showed us seems to confirm this.  In the emails it
> is said that the patch (I assume there is a patch, I haven't read all
> of it :)) will add GNU/Hurd support.
>
> Better ask the people who ported sysvinit, Robert and Guillem (IIRC).

Guillem ported sysvinit to GNU/Hurd. I just have the nasty habit of
periodicaly finding bugs in it and sending patches =)

Miquel: IIRC, sysvinit now works perfectly on GNU/Hurd with the exception
of a PID conflict (/hurd/init is pid 1 also). But don't take my word as I
haven't worked on this. Let's see what Guillem says (CCed).

Wrt your initial question, GNU/Hurd has libc0.3 now and the GNU/k*BSD have
libc0.1.

> > Okay, anyway, if the hurd doesn't use sysvinit then I only need to
> > bother with kFreeBSD. And I shouldn't have been posting here in the
> > first place, I guess ;)

Just in case you need to contact the GNU/k*BSD folks, we're reachable at
glibc-bsd-devel@alioth.lists.debian.org. But it's unlikely that you need to
because as you know we're watching you and sysvinit closely ;).

> I've added a CC to Robert, IIRC he does not read this mailinglist
> lately.

Thanks Marco. Actualy I hardly read any mailing lists at all lately ;)

--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T., Ainulindale (Silmarillion)