Re: X-free libraries

On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 02:01:56PM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:

> Well, there's no source for the xfree86_4.3.0-0pre1v3.1 hurd-i386 binary
> packages on gnuab, that's why I never tried to build them. However,
> there are source package files for the 0pre1v5+rmh.1 GNU/k*BSD packages
> and the ChangeLog suggests that they include the GNU/Hurd fixes as well:
>
> Changes:
>  xfree86 (4.3.0-0pre1v5+rmh.1) unreleased; urgency=low
>  .
>    * Misc fixes for GNU and GNU/k*BSD.
>
> Robert, are all the fixes for GNU/Hurd you are aware of in that source
> package?

Yes. Except the nroff/troff system crash which is actualy a bug in Mach,
the Hurd, or some part of Glibc.

> It boils down to installing the build-essential package, the
> Build-Depends of the xfree86 source package and then running
> 'dpkg-buildpackage -B -us -uc'. If that yields a good build, I can sign
> the resulting .changes file and we can upload them to ftp.gnuab.org.

The signature check in gnuab is not gratuitous. Do you understand the
implications of signing a binary you have recieved unsigned from the net,
without any real verification of the authorship of that binary?

I only find reasonable re-signing a binary made by a trusted developer like
Marco if it is already signed with his key and there is a trust path to it
from the debian keyring. Every kiddie around can forge some SMTP headers and
pretend to be Marco.

--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T., Ainulindale (Silmarillion)