Re: Debian GNU/Hurd on bochs

On dim, 2004-02-29 at 05:35, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> Create the filesystem with parted (mkfs 1 ext2).  This is however a
> Linux owned filesystem, but we need the Hurd owner to be able to set
> translators.  It will also have the filetype feature set, which we
> don't use on the Hurd.  So I mangled it a bit:
>
> $ dd if=~/.bochs/guest.hd0 of=/tmp/hd0 bs=512 skip=63
>
> (63 is the start of the filesystem).  Note that this will make a copy
> of the whole disk image except for the very beginning.  Well, there
> are other ways to do that, but we need to get rid of the filetype
> feature and this requires running (eventually) e2fsck on the
> filesystem.  So, either you need lots of disk space, or defer the
> e2fsck until you actually have the Hurd up and running, but then you
> will have to let it clear all those filetype flags then.
>
> $ file /tmp/hd0s1
> /tmp/hd0: Linux rev 1.0 ext2 filesystem data
>
> $ e2os.sh /tmp/hd0s1 hurd
>
> The e2os script is in the Hurd CVS in the directory sutils/.

I wrote something about hurd in bochs some time ago:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-hurd/2003/debian-hurd-200303/msg00065.html
and mostly the same information is there too:
http://www.asyd.net/docs/hurd/bochs-hurd.html

Some of them is outdated, but the following should still work, to make
the filesystem:
<quote>
3. Making a filesystem
(you need to be root to do that)
#losetup /dev/loop0 /hurd/hurd.img -o 32256
(that magical offset value is bytes/sector times
sectors/cylinder, and gives access to the partition we created, keeping
the partition table safe)
#mkfs.ext2 -o hurd /dev/loop0
<quote/>

Hope this helps,