Re: Hurd Advocacy?

Farid Hajji schrieb:

[snip]
including their amiga port? Actually, I personally think that one
way to refactor the Hurd would be to do some kind of NetBSD/L4
port (or partial port) first and then use as much as possible from
NetBSD's very clean architecture (MD vs. MI code, drivers, ...)
as framework for the Hurd/L4.

I don't know how it is actually with the Hurd, but such a policy of clean architecture and preference of a correct implementation in contrast to a early release or fast implementation is something I really would like to see. IMHO, to state out this policy clearly and keeping it in mind while coding and making design decisions would be a nice step into the right direction. Just a small sentence like "It is developed with the goal of a clean design, architecture and correct implementation in mind" or something like that on the Hurd Web pages would be very fine, I think. But, of course, I'm actually not really in the position to judge to what extend you already do this, or how far away it is from reality. It might also have some positive effects on how the Hurd is actually seen in public and by interested people or developers. Just my 2c.

Greetings,
Daniel.