ReRe: Improving the (web) content

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 03:47:42PM +0100, Mark Wilkinson wrote:
> I'd be happy to review and make suggestions on anything that was
> provided to me.

That's great!  Hopefully we get some volunteers that I can assign to you as
your slaves then :)

> As the lists proverbial idiot,

That's just not true.  Of course if you haven't even installed the Hurd so
far, you don't have much experience in the Hurd.  But the accuracy of
identifying the main questions a new user shows not only that you have not
lost touch of the beginners problems (being a beginner yourself), and second
that you can identify and express these problems and have ideas how to solve
them.  And, you are motivated, as you wrote it down and sent it to the list.

> anything that I get,
> understand and appreciate will qualify as the sort of idiots guide that
> we're looking for.  I'm happy to recieve documentation in HTML,
> OpenOffice, MS Office, PDF or plain text formats and will do my best to
> provide suitably constructive criticism.

One part of our culture is to reject proprietary products like MS, and,
while I am at it, another part is to call free software Free Software and
not Open Source (as you did in your other mail).  This leads me to the idea
of another document, that explains some of the things of our culture, why
they are the way they are, so people coming from elsewhere (university,
business) have a better understanding on what's going on (ie, things like
how we are organized, which tools we use for interaction, etc).

> I don't feel ready to be
> writing documentation for Hurd yet though, I'd kind of like to get it
> installed and to some extent working before I begin documenting things
> myself.  Be sure that I'll be adding any problems I get during install
> to an Installation FAQ though

Writing down the problems that you are experiencing yourself is certainly
one of the best ways to get started.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/