Still want to believe.

Sorry in advance for the troll,

I am trying to get to grips with the hurd. It seems to me like it
has gone backwards since I last dipped my toe in a couple of years
ago. Have I just got the wrong set up?

I installed using crosshurd, so it should be up-to-date, but
it seems highly broken.
vi dumps a core
telnet dumps a core
I can't get the nfs translator to work
there is no ftp client
sshd dumps a core
inetd dumps a core

I get a linking error trying to build gnu mach
strpcpy.

It took me a day of instant reboots to realise that
it didn't like the fact that I had too much memory (I went from
1GBbyte to 512Mbytes)

I would really love to do some work on the hurd, but the only
way I can copy files is by booting into sid. And that is
just not realistic. Life is too short.

So please, should I use an older version? How can I believe
that the hurd is a good thing if it is impossible to use?

Regards,
--

Steve King