Re: Debian GNU/Hurd crossinstaller: "crosshurd"

Patrick Strasser <past@sbox.tugraz.at> writes:

> Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>
> > Remember that you can set a
> > passive translator on any node, an empty file, a file with content, or
> > a directory, or whatever.  On the other hand, it is not possible to
> > set a translator to a symlink (I don't think you can stack passive
> > translators, can you?)
>
> One possibilty would be to store some configuriation in the file and
> set a transloator that would use this configuration. Is this somthing
> anyone has already tried?
> A fortuner translator could the underlying file.
> Just some thoughts.

I can think of more exciting things (but first I thought that would
only be possible with a active translator). You can for example use
tarfs on a tarfile. If tarfs supports this and you access the
translator using io operations (like io_read) you can read the tar
file. But you can also use directory operations.

For example:
emacs foo.tar.gz/src/foo.c (Using the translator)
tar zxvf foo.tar.gz (Using the underlaying node)

--
Marco