Re: Debian GNU/Hurd crossinstaller: "crosshurd"

Jeff Bailey <jbailey@nisa.net> writes:

> > Another problem right now is the translator vs. tarring up /dev stuff.
> > What are you going to do about this? With Marco's patch floating
> > around, wouldn't it make sense to talk to the Debian tar maintainer
> > (Bdale) while he's around? Or are we going to take a different road?
> Different path.  It turns out that the only reason they don't use
> MAKEDEV is because it was slow.  We don't have that issue so will just
> use MAKEDEV.  I lost track of the thread for Marco's tar patch.  I don't
> remember if we ever decided it was an attribute or a file type.

(FYI:) It = passive translator

I was trying to explain the star maintainer that passive translators
are a filetype and not an attribute of a file. But he isn't convinced
of this yet...

What matter more to me is having this patch (or a reworked version) in
GNU tar. This cannot be done in a POSIX compatible way without doing a
_LOT_ of GNU tar work. Jeff, what would be the best way to get this in
GNU tar? (Or at least to get some comments about this?).