Re: What's the command to create swap in hurd

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 03:34:36PM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>
> >  Of course this is assuming you created a swap partition and
> >  initilized it?  (I think)
> >
> >Nope, swapon doesn't care where it is going to swap to, but you can
> >also share it with GNU/Linux, but then you have to use mkswapfs on the
> >file/device.
>
> So you're saying there's a "mkswapfs" command in the hurd? I reckon it's
> not yet installed then, as "locate" (after running "updatedb") doesn't
> find it. So I need to get my networking fixed, then I should be able to
> "apt-get install mkswapfs" (or whatever package it's in) and initialize
> my swap partition?

No, he means that, if you want to have Linux use a swap-partition after
The Hurd has used it, then *Linux* will require you to run `mkswap'
(sorry, Alfred--you got the name wrong; does this mean that The Hurd is
running well enough for you that you don't neet to touch Linux anymore? :))
because The Hurd does not know or care about `swap-signatures'--it'll
happily use whatever partition you give it without requiring you to
`initialise' it. If there happens to be a Linux swap-signature (or
anything else ;)) ok the partition, it's likely to be gone by the time
that The Hurd is done with the partition.

So, all you have to do is -activate- your swap via `swapon'--if I recall
correctly, this will happen automatically at boot if you list the
swap-partition(s) in /etc/fstab.

--
In the beginning there was nothing. And the Lord said "Let There Be Light!"
And still there was nothing, but at least now you could see it.