Re: VT_ACTIVATE ioctl (virtual terminals)

On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 03:59:10PM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> So the console *client* needs also to be a server and register in the
> filesystem.  Then it needs to listen to such requests.  This is particularly
> important for the vc switch with the X server.  In that case a special
> synchronisation must happen because both programs access the same resources.
>
> This si the general answer.  For the specific question you asked nothing can
> be said, because none of the options make sense without knowing the context
> in which they would be applied.

It seems i should have been more explicit.. :>

I've been building X for the last few days (couldn't resist), and VT_ACTIVATE
is required by the X server. particularly, this is the offending code in
cvsweb [1]

However, this recent change made by Branden might be significative:

929. Add a "DontVTSwitch" option to allow VT switching to be disabled
      (on platforms where the X server initiates VT switches) (#5640,
      Branden Robinson).

[1] http://cvsweb.xfree86.org/cvsweb/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/common/xf86Events.c

--
Robert Millan

make: *** No rule to make target `war'.  Stop.

Another world is possible - Just say no to genocide