Re: mkfs and fsck in /sbin

On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 10:04:41AM -0500, Jeff Bailey wrote:
> I think I see two potential solutions to this:
>
> 1) /sbin should be added to every users path on i386-gnu systems.  The
> concept of a binary that is completely unusable for regular users is
> almost unheard of for us.  (The only few that come to mind is init,
> fdisk, and grub).

Certainly not.  There is no point in sbin if it is i every users path.
It is our believe that the distinction between sbin and bin is useful.

fdisk (rather, parted) is certainly useful for users if they want to set up
disk images (for bochs, etc).  Although slightly less commonly used than
mke2fs, with the parted store class it might be useful to partition an
arbitrary virtual storage as a virtual disk.  But this is stretching it.

grub is useful to create boot disk images, eg for the installer.  Again,
this is stretching it.

init is actually a good example.  So are: halt, reboot, swapon, swapoff,
tzconfig, update-*, useradd, userdel, usermod, adduser (etc), locale-gen and
so on.

Even if every second program currently being in sbin should be moved in bin,
I would still have 70-80 files in there, that is still a significant number
(although probably not so significant anymore if compared against the then
1400 programs in /bin - only 0.5 percent).

> 2) We could put ask for certain files to be made available in /bin by
> symlink and list them.
>
> In either case, it should probably be done as an annex to the FHS rather
> than going to the Debian maintainers.

Agreed (2x), although it shouldn't be defined which is the real file and
which is the symlink.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/