Re: mkfs and fsck in /sbin

Hi,

On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 10:56:52AM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:

> Jeff Bailey <jbailey@nisa.net> writes:
>
> > It's questionable that they should be artificially hidden in the first
> > place, but hey. =)
>
> The purpose of /sbin is not to "hide" anything, but to avoid
> cluttering users' command namespace with commands they can't usefully
> ever use.

That's the intention, but it has long, long lost its value. With the
number of 'commands' in the thousands, there is no *humanly perceptible*
difference in size of the command namespace have only /bin or also /sbin
in your PATH.

On the Amiga, with 20-some commands in your c: directory, list c: would
help you choose among commands if you couldn't remember one. ls /bin
doesn't help anymore. It already has much too many for that.

I already always put /sbin in the system-wide path. It has no
consequences for security, and on some systems, even tools such as ping
are there. Having a symlink definitely makes sense for the Hurd, and
shows that /any/ tool may be useful for the user, regardless of his
permission level. It just depends on the user.

Cheers,

Emiile.

--
E-Advies / Emile van Bergen   |   emile@e-advies.info