Re: Hurd Newsbee: Cant Boot After Installation

On  4 Nov, Manuel Hoppe wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Im new to hurd and want to test the J2 images.
> Well, the first strange thing to me was: I created three Hurd
> partitions, but when I tried to initialize them it failed. Then I
> initialized them a ext2 and succeed. Did I missunderstood something?
>
> After that, I initializes all partitions with ext2 and installes the
> base system. Due there was no "make Hurd bootable" or anything other
> step after the install, I rebooted the system. And nothing boot on
> harddisk. :-(
>
> What went wrong?

Confused me for a while as well. You can initialize the main root
partition, but the others dump you back to the start of the installation
process (the notices...), and don't let you specify a mount point (is
this a bug in the installer??). As for reboot - you need a GRUB bootdisk
(or GRUB as your main bootloader), and to boot from that with commands
like:

root(hd0,0)   ; /dev/hda1 in Linux-speak, /dev/hd0s1 in HURD-Speak
kernel /boot/gnumach.gz root=/dev/hd0s0
module /boot/serverboot.gz
boot

This is all detailed in the cookbook file (which seems out of date) -
mix those instructions with instructions given by the
./native-install.sh script.

Alex