Re: Building linux gcc tarball for Hurd H4

On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 07:02:29AM -0000, James Joseph wrote:
> I have a very slow net connection and i was able to bug a friend
> to get me the 1st iso image of HURD H4.  It is working,

Congratulations!

> and looks
> very cool; but i see that gcc, include files in /include etc are
> not there!

You can get them from ftp.debian.org or your local mirror of course.
They might also be on the second or third CD image.

> I had wished to do some basic coding (to learn) on
> Hurd.  I do have the source tarballs for gcc-2.95 (which i used to
> build a Linux from Scratch distro) (www.linuxfromscratch.org).

The most recent Hurd systems (starting from H4) don't support gcc-2.95
anymore (at least officially, I don't know if it would work anyway, I would
certainly expect problems with C++ applications).

> 1) Could i build gcc (from my Debian Potato R5) using these
> tarballs for the Hurd? I have a similar doubt about glibc?

You can cross compile, but if you have to ask about this, the procedure is
probably not for you.  You will save a lot of time and hassles by just
downloading the binaries.  Even if it takes you a day to download it over
the slow link, it will still be much faster and easier than to bootstrap
a compiler the first time.

> 2) I also have XFree86 4.2 source tarballs.Which seems to have a
> hurd.cf config file.  Does that mean that it can be build for
> Hurd?

Yes, it can, and there are binaries of X in Debian GNU/Hurd, too.  The same
comment as above applies:  It will be much easier just to get the Debian
binary packages :)

> 3) Are the modifications to make gnu packages work for Hurd, in
> the SAME package as the ones used for building a GNU / Linux
> system, or do i need to download SEPERATE packages?

They are in the same package.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/