Re: Installation report

On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 11:53:30AM +0200, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
> I mean that the most complicated step of the install was figuring out
> that the cross-install script wasn't smart enough to go looking on
> alpha.gnu.org for the .deb's it doesn't find in the debian archives,
> firing up an ftp client, downloading these .deb's and putting them in
> the place where cross-install would find them (the "partial/"
> subdirectory). Yes, this isn't a complicated step, but was the most
> complicated step of the install. Hence, the installation went very
> smoothly.

Actually, you are not supposed to need to use cross-install.  We dropped
support for cross-install (eg, we stopped bothering about keeping it working
for our users) exactly because of the problems you encountered.  Instead, we
are supposed to make tar files (which of course are produced with
cross-install and some hacking), and then provide those.

The compromise of alpha.gnu.org forced us to remove the tar file, and
I have not replaced it yet, because we first wanted to work out some
problems in glibc and the Hurd after the recent interface changes.  Those
problems have been solved now, and you can expect a new tar file soon.
(But first someone has to do some compilations of Debian packages, mainly
glibc and apt, and I have that nagging feeling that this someone will be me ;)

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/