Re: Which packages should I use?

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 08:52:56PM +0200, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:

> Emile van Bergen <emile-deb@evbergen.xs4all.nl> writes:
> > That's not what is meant; if it were so, it would indeed seem redundant.
> > There is no GNU version of Linux or the Hurd. GNU/X refers to the
> > operating system 'GNU' running on top of/combined with X, X being Linux
> > or the Hurd in most cases.
>
> Maybe I'm just confused, what do you mean that there is no GNU version
> of the Hurd?  The Hurd is an GNU project.

Of course. There is no *separate* version of the Hurd *specific* to GNU.
Jason thought GNU was used to qualify things, eg. as in GNU tar vs. BSD
tar. This is not the case with the Hurd; there is no Hurd but the GNU
Hurd.

In "the GNU Hurd", "the Hurd" is the thing that's being referred to, and
GNU may be considered an optional qualification, as there is no version
of the Hurd but the one that's part of the GNU project.

In "GNU/Hurd", GNU is the thing that's being referred to, and the Hurd
is the qualification.

Cheers,

Emile.

--