Re: strange result when typing wrong password

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 09:24:35AM +0200, Niels Möller wrote:
> There are four more bits than the traditional rwxrwxrwx. And you want
> to do is modify those bits on /etc/passwd to say (i) processes that
> have no uid:s at all are not included in "others", and (ii) such
> processes are not allowed to access /etc/passwd.

You achieve this by setting bit S_IUSEUNK:

/* If the S_IUSEUNK bit is set, then the S_IUNKNOWN bits (see below)
   control access for unknown users.  If S_IUSEUNK is clear, then unknown
   users are treated as "others" for purposes of access control.  */
#define S_IUSEUNK       000000400000

and clearing the bits in S_IUNKNOWN:
/* Mask of protection bits for unknown users (no effective IDs at all).  */
#define S_IUNKNOWN      000007000000

> But it's harder than it sounds, because chmod doesn't yet know about
> those bits. There have been some patches on the hurd-bugs mailing list.

But chmod knows about octal numbers!  ;)  So you can actually just calculate
the right octal number and pass it to chmod on the command line, IIRC.

Something like

# chmod 0400644 /etc/passwd

should do the job (untested!).

> Also the default for the bit that decides whether or not no-uid
> processes are included in "others" isn't really decided yet.

Yep, that's still open.  The current behaviour is documented above.

> And at last, if you have the login shell only on the console (that's
> the default behavior, iirc),

Unfortunately not.  I didn't bother to figure out yet which place I have to
change to make it use /bin/loginpr on incoming connections, rather that
/bin/login.  Or should we swap the programs and configure the local console
to use something different than /bin/login?  Someone please send a patch! :)

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de