Re: strange result when typing wrong password

Niklas Söderlund <niklas.soderlund@chello.se> writes:

> Yup, but since /bin/login is suid:ed as root,

There's no reason /bin/login need to be setuid root on the Hurd.

Why not? You tell login your name and passwd. login sends them to the
passwd server. If they are correct, the passwd server replies with an
auth-token corresponding to your uid, so that login can spawn a login
shell for you.

> it should be harmless to do chmod 640 /etc/passwd?

A lot of programs break if /etc/passwd isn't readable. For a start,
all programs that want to convert between user names and numerical
uids.

PS. I'm not sure about how groups etc are set up. Is that also the
responsibility of passwd?

PPS. On the only Hurd system I have access to, /usr/bin/login is
actually setuid root. I hope that's a bug.

/Niels