H4 disks, ext2fs_check_if_mount: Unknown code P2 ....

Hello,

I venture into Hurd country with the H4 CD disks.

Briefly, I have
  --  created an empty file system with
         mke2fs -o hurd /dev/hda2
  --  cross installed a hurd using a baseHurd.tgz
  --  set up Grub, and rebooted into the Hurd
  --  run initial-install, rebooted, and run initial-install again
  --  rebooted, hoping to get out of single user mode.

The booting scripts dump me back into single user mode,
with an error message along the lines

ext2fs_check_if_mount: Unknown code P 2 while determining whether
/dev/hd0s2 is mounted
The hurd does not support the file type feature.

Then I am invited to run fsck to put things right.
I think fsck is complaining, with text along the lines

      Entry "foo" in "/fumble" has file type set. Clear?

Can anyone explain or point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
John

John Smith