Re: translators within themselves (was: hurd does NOT need /hurd)

Oystein Viggen <oysteivi@tihlde.org> writes:

> Experiment:
>
> $ cp /hurd/null somedir/
> $ settrans somedir somedir/null
> $ cat somedir
>
> If translators within directories within translators worked, cat somedir
> would return nothing, just the same as cat /dev/null.  On my system, cat
> would hang, waiting for input, until killed.  I did not investigate this
> further.

Ah yes, this is indeed the case.  The parent filesystem tries to run
somedir/null, blocking your "cat" command until it returns.  And, that
"tries to run" includes lookup up the same somedir/null.  So I was
wrong in what I wrote earlier.

This doesn't bother me, as long as C-c works.  Can you verify that it
does?

> If you set up an active translator instead (settrans -a), it all works
> just beautifully.

Right, because here the program is run by settrans *before* it gets
attached to the "somedir" node.