translators within themselves (was: hurd does NOT need /hurd)

* [Marcus Brinkmann]

> On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 04:59:37PM +0200, Lars Weber wrote:
>> Is this also true for passive translators?  Do they also not store the
>> path to the translator executable (as I've thought until now) but a direct
>> reference to the file instead?  If so, what would happen if the translator
>> is replaced by a newer version for example?
>
> They store the complete filename, but I am not sure right now about their
> execution context.  I would expect as they are started by the parent
> filesystem, they get to see whatever the parent filesystem sees at this
> filename.

(removed -devel from Cc)

As far as I can understand, this particular branch of the discussion is
about whether a translator within the underlying directory of a passive
translator works.  Currently, it doesn't, at least not in the general
case.

Experiment:

$ cp /hurd/null somedir/
$ settrans somedir somedir/null
$ cat somedir

If translators within directories within translators worked, cat somedir
would return nothing, just the same as cat /dev/null.  On my system, cat
would hang, waiting for input, until killed.  I did not investigate this
further.

If you set up an active translator instead (settrans -a), it all works
just beautifully.

There might be some tricks I don't know of to make this work also for
passive translators, but currently, it does not seem to work "out of the
box".  I can't think of any situation where this would be particularly
useful, anyway.

Oystein
--
When in doubt: Think again.