Re: hurd does NOT need /hurd

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 12:54:12AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> I've had too many examples of people (myself included) looking at the
> code and being absolutely sure something will work obviously, and then
> being proven wrong.

Obviously if I were to do that, I would do some primitive testing if the
command works etc.  But if the glue code works, it works.  The only
thing that then can fail is either because of the ipchain command itself
or the ipchain implementation, which is from Linux and has been tested.

That assumes that the ipchains interface doesn't break the ioctl
conventions itself (like SIOCGIFCONF does).

> Yes. Implement. Then test. Then release.
You are really giving a hell lot of advices today.  I will print them out all.

> Actually, it's that everyone's found the Linux kernel does provide a sane
> and stable external interface.

First time I hear someone saying that.  Talked to Ulrich Drepper
recently?  (Just to pick someone who really relies on those interfaces
heavily).