Re: hurd does NOT need /hurd

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 12:11:36AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> It's not what the hack does that matters, it's the quality of it. If
> you don't leave time for it to be tested, there's no way I'm going to
> have faith in it.

Have you read what I was talking about?  The code is the original
ipchains Linux code, I would not going to touch that with a pole.

The issue is only about glue code (passing through the ioctl), and
you can tell if that works.  It works if it works.

You know, considering that I am working on and with this system for
over three years now, one could think you would have a bit of faith
in what I am saying about it, or check yourself.

> It is *irrelevant* what it looks like. It needs time to be tested. Time
> which it won't get if it's left until marginally before the next release.

Yeah, well, but things have to be done in proper order.

> ...but at least he actually got out there and *did* it. The only way to
> work out the right way to do something is to do it the wrong way a few
> times first.

There is no need for the wrong things to be released.

> And if you do that, you'll find you've left it too late, and that there's
> not enough time to put together a usable firewalling tool. I'm not sure
> what you're not getting about that. If you leave it 'til the last minute,
> you'll be twiddling your thumbs for yet another year.

That's what you think.

> So much for the benefits of being able to develop everything in userspace,
> eh?

In case you didn't notice, the problem is the same in Linux.  It's just
that everyone has given up hope that Linux kernel provide a sane and
compatible external interface to the user.

> To reiterate: don't leave thinking about this or doing it (or any of
> the other things that make the Hurd unreleasable) until the next freeze.
> If you're prioritising other things above release requirements, that's
> your choice, obviously, but do be aware of exactly what that means.

So far, it is not determined if Debian GNU/Hurd must release with a
firewall feature.