Re: hurd does NOT need /hurd

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 05:07:35PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> I realise you don't think that's important, but well, there're reasons
> the Hurd's been developed for over a decade and still hasn't had a
> real release.

It has had a real release, and the only reason that there haven't been other
releases after that is that the Hurd developers committed themselve to
release with Debian, if that is possible at all.

> > that's what is required to get an otherwise completely functional system to
> > be rubber stamped by the release manager, I might just as well waste a day
> > or two on it, so that the other effort is saved.
>
> *shrug* I'm unlikely to consider a quick hack done at the very last
> minute a reliable firewalling tool.

You don't know what I mean, so you could at least try to find out what I
mean first or spare your judgement until it is done.

> You have at least a year before the next release, if you want to ignore
> this warning, you're quite welcome to. Maybe I'll even change my mind
> in a year.

Sure.  I think it is pointless to have this discussion now.  I see at least
two options to release Debian GNU/Hurd without firewall option even against
your personal explicit wish as the release manager.

> Quite frankly, I've no idea why you're quite so dogmatically against
> having firewalling tools.

Calm down.  Nobody is dogmatically against having firewall tools.
If you think that is what is happening here than you should perform a quick
reality check.

> Additionally, if you're not willing to take any advice on board, don't
> expect to recieve any again.

Uh, your advice is friendly and happily received.  Do you mean that excludes
the right to disagree?

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de