Re: Hurd should be released (Was: Re: HURD/Linux/BSD* ... Loosing focus.)

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 01:51:34PM +0900, Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:
> At Tue, 21 May 2002 16:00:50 +0200,
> Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > Subsequent releases where not done, because between having the Hurd code in
> > CVS and the binary snaphots in Debian, there was little need to rubberstamp
> > a particular version as 0.3 or whatever.
>
> From Hurd's point of view, that's true. But it is really bad for third
> parties when referring to any particular implementation of the Hurd. I
> don't say that Hurd should be released often. That's required when a
> big user-visible change is made.
>
> Here is an example of what could happen if no release is made so long:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/bug-grub%40gnu.org/msg05548.html
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=145673&repeatmerged=yes

Mmmh, yeah, I see your point.  Grub is obviously one of few third party
packages dependent on specific Hurd behaviour in its operation (well, at
least in the default configuration file and documentation).

> I'm sorry that my response is off-topic, but I cannot help saying
> this, because Robert or Alfred didn't seem to try to fix the root
> cause.

Nor could they, although they didn't even reported it on bug-hurd@gnu.org,
which they should have.  I was completely unaware of that there was a
patch to GRUB docs pending a release.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de