Re: where do NEW packages go?

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 07:05:55PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 12:37:35PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> > Happily we can override the FHS in policy.
>
> That's what I figured.  It's so low on my personal todo list though, as
> it is only a cosmetic change, that I can hardly see it down there.
>
> Fixing the FHS directly has some appeal, too, though.  Not sure which is
> harder to change ;)

Has there ever been an attempt to create a Hurd annex in the FHS? Even
though /libexec is really a more general issue, /hurd sounds like ideal
material, and one would have thought that the FHS maintainers would pay
some attention to the primary developers of an operating system as far
as that system's annex goes ...

There probably wouldn't need to be much text there, something like:

  x.x.x /hurd : Translators

  The /hurd directory contains executable binaries which implement in
  user-space facilities to look up names in a filesystem-like fashion.
  They will typically be attached to a node using the settrans utility,
  and invoked automatically by the system when that node is accessed.

  [possibly add some required files here, such as the auth server]

Is this just hopelessly naive? I can't see anything relevant in a Google
search, but on the other hand the FHS web archives I've found don't seem
to go back very far. If it would help, I can do the legwork of producing
the groff -mm patches required for proposals.