Re: Hurd FS hierarchy (was Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles)

On Sun, May 12, 2002 at 04:33:37PM -0400, Richard Kreuter wrote:
> Here's a redraft based on the discussion over the last day or
> so.
> The GNU system has been designed with a goal of providing users with
> more power than they have traditionally been afforded on Unix and
> Unix-compatible systems.  As a result, several system binaries are
> useful to normal users and should be found in /bin:
> mkfs.*
> mk*fs
> *fsck
> fsck.*
> parted
> *fdisk

Are utilities unrelated with filesystems or partitions allowed to use
these names? maybe we should refer to them by their functionality to
avoid confusion.

Robert Millan

"5 years from now everyone will be running
free GNU on their 200 MIPS, 64M SPARCstation-5"

              Andrew S. Tanenbaum, 30 Jan 1992