Re: dpkg-shlibdeps (was Re: Cannot install HURD: bsdutils missing)

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 06:11:18PM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
> Are you sure it's necessary to fallback on a lower level? When you want
> to compare two paths, no matter they are real or not, comparing the
> realpath() result of each other will assure that they are the same file.

Sure, but realpath is too slow.  Note that we are talking about /lib/foo
where dpkg thinks it is /usr/lib/foo.  As it can't find /lib/foo, it must
test all */foo files in its database.

So it could do realpath on all */foo and see if it is /lib/foo, is this what
you mean?  But stat() and inode comparison is much faster than that.

Now we only need to fix fsid on Linux ;)  I will let Alan know.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de