Re: GNUmach kernel parameters?

Hi,

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, Joachim Nilsson wrote:

> In Linux there is the kernel parameters to decide what ethernet card
> gets to be eth0 and any other one automatically gets called eth1.
> Is there any such kernel parameter to GNUmach when I call it from
> grub, or do I have to build myself a new kernel?
>
> My setup is two ISA cards, one 3c509 and one NE2000. In Linux the
> 3c509 automatically (without any specific kernel parameters) gets
> to be eth0 (@irq 9) and the NE2000 is my eth1 (@irq 5). In GNUmach
> it's the reversed, what dictates the order in Mach?

As much as I appreciate some aspects of the Hurd's design, I must say I
never really saw the point of having a microkernel if it doesn't allow
you to implement drivers as services.

Today's hardware is so much of a moving target, that having drivers in
separate processes would be a huge boon, especially considering the fact
how much easier it would be for those untrusted 3rd parties (hardware
manufacturers ;-) to write and debug drivers if they are just standard
process using the standard user mode API.

The only popular OS I know that gets this right is QNX, but sadly it's
proprietary as hell.

Just my (offtopic) 2c...

Cheers,

Emile.