Re: GNUmach kernel parameters?

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 03:59:32PM +0200, Emile van Bergen wrote:
> As much as I appreciate some aspects of the Hurd's design, I must say I
> never really saw the point of having a microkernel if it doesn't allow
> you to implement drivers as services.

Mach allows you to implement user-space drivers AFAIK. This no
limitation in the Hurd, we can do it. Our current drivers are just a
big hack at the moment.

> Today's hardware is so much of a moving target, that having drivers in
> separate processes would be a huge boon, especially considering the fact
> how much easier it would be for those untrusted 3rd parties (hardware
> manufacturers ;-) to write and debug drivers if they are just standard
> process using the standard user mode API.

I agree, on L4 we must implement drivers in user-space, but that will
probably just a hack of the Linux drivers until we get enough people
to write native drivers. This is certainly something we want and will
likely be created in the future.

> The only popular OS I know that gets this right is QNX, but sadly it's
> proprietary as hell.

I'm sure we can do better.

Jeroen Dekkers
--