Re: My Hurd is back online!

> Well, I did not make any modifications or tweaks whatsoever
> to oskit-mach. I grabbed it from CVS yesterday, and did this:
>
>     $ cd oskit-mach
>     $ mkdir build
>     $ cd build
>     $ ../configure
>     $ make
>     $ cp kernel /boot

This gets you a kernel that tries every device driver compiled into the
oskit libraries.  Perhaps there is a problem with a particular driver.
Start by doing "make kernel-ide", which should give you a kernel with no
drivers but the IDE driver.  If that works ok (as far as booting and
finding that you don't have an IDE disk ;-), then move on to adding other
individual drivers.  I don't know off hand what the driver is called for
your SCSI controller.  The drivers are from Linux 2.2 and have the same
names.  So try "make kernel-ide+aha1740+" or whatever the right driver is.

> Anyways, I'm happy to help utilize this nifty system to work on SMP
> for Hurd by testing kernels, etc. Roland told me a long time ago that
> I should use the serial debugger, but I just haven't gotten it together

Even if you are not up to taking on a lot of active debugging yourself,
having serial gdb working is the best way to gather more information you
can post here to get better help.

I think you mentioned SMP also.  If you are interested in SMP in
oskit-mach, the first thing to do is make sure the oskit's SMP support
works right on your hardware.  Try the oskit example kernels that use smp
first.  Then you can try building oskit-mach with configure --enable-smp
and get started on getting that to boot.  There is a lot of unfinished work
for the SMP oskit-mach kernel to really be usable, though.