Re: mach: bootstrap missing

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 07:55:21PM +0100, wiehepeter@web.de wrote:
> Thanks. Now I see that the boot file system is a server, not in the kernel.
> And the same with the program loader (exec server).

Yes, we are a multi server system down to the roots.

> Why do I have to use the single user option the first time?

You will drop into single user anyway.  The system lacks the translator
setup (integration of servers into the filesystem), so you have no real
console, unix domain socket, etc.

> Is there a ready-to-use grub file (menu.lst) or would it be useful to write one?

An example should be included in the install guide.  If it isn't, it would
be useful to have one (IMO).

> This could be of course flexible: a shell script (or the install program)
> on the CD could configure it to the appropriate disk name+partition
> (for the kernel and modules and for root=...), FS, exec server.

Such things will be the icing on the cake, but before that we will have to
change the installer a couple of times anyway.

> Is there a way to use a mach ext2 FS

There is no mach ext2fs.  GRUB can read ext2fs FS filesystems, and that's
the right way to go.

> Is there a simpler way for module ...ext2fs.static? Especially with less options?

We had a serverboot program that read those options from yet another
configuration file (servers.boot).  In essence it was more limited than
GRUB (less filesystems, no network support, and you couldn't correct a typo
while booting).  So we got rid of it.  No way to go back :)

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de