Re: OT: definition of "ABI" (was Re: ABI change. Was Autobuilder needed?)

On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 02:00:04PM +0000, Sean Neakums wrote:
> That sounds more like a definition of an *API* to me.

No.  The following is not true for an ABI:

> It should be possible to run the same compiled
> {binary} applications on any system with the right ABI.

> My
> understanding is that the ABI is at a lower level, and defines how
> parameters are passed into functions and system calls, and how to call
> system calls (which register to put the syscall number in, and which
> trap to use, etc.).

Your understanding is correct.  The ABI is at the binary level, while the
API is at a source code level.

> I'm not familiar with the referenced documents,
> but the titles of the first two suggest that they are ABI definitions,
> whereas Winsock is definitely an API.

Well, I don't know about the examples.  The Windows COM model allows ABI
compatibility, so maybe they are referring to that.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de