Re: Autobuilder needed?

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 06:01:19PM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> > Since we're on the topic, please let us know what the best way to
> > do this is.  We're essentially re-creating the hurd-i386 arch -
> > The new .debs will be binary incompatible with the old ones.

> At one occasion the old tree was deleted by the ftp admins.  This
> helps to ensure that no cruft remains.  I would not object against
> this, if it is mirror-friendly.  This was before package pools.

That would be ideal.  Then nothing would need binNMUs - I would be far
less worried about this transition then.

> > (In fact if we could pick a less stupid name, this would be a
> > great time to do it)

> Not really.  For one, the name is hard coded in a lot of places
> (like build scripts), and I don't really want to fix all these
> places again.  However, the main reason is that there is little
> gain, because we will still be restricted by the simple
> Architecture: semantics in dpkg + co.

> The best time to change the names will be when the architecture
> handling is reworked (if it will ever happen).

Hmm..  What would it take to overcome inertia on this?  Since we're
likely to be the most affected (It possibly an arch-name incompatbile
way if we go for the kernel: hurd arch: i386 idea) it might be nice to
see if there's any chance would could do this (assuming it wouldn't
slow as down by >4 weeks, I'd guess)

If this libio upload is relying on me (and I suspect it is) we're
already looking like we're pushing March, which means April since I'm
offline all of March for my wedding.

Tks,
Jeff Bailey

--