Re: getopt(1) non-linux dependent

On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 01:35:23PM -0500, Richard Kreuter wrote:
>   If these tasks can be handled by a newcomer with a fair amount yet to
> learn, I'll give it a try.

Sure.

> I guess the first thing would be to flag
> those utils that are genuinely Linux specific, and then decide whether
> to split the package, right?

Well, it doesn't need to be splitted. It just needs to compile those tools
that work on the respective platform.  There are many ways how this can be
accomplished.  It depends on taste.  Usually, in a GNU project, we would use
autoconf to select the features.  In util-linux, the simplest thing would be
to detect the architecture with uname and set the programs to build based on
that.

> Give me some direction, and I'll proceed as far as I can.

Just get into the hacking, and ask back with whatever concrete questions you
might have.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de