Re: getopt(1) non-linux dependent

On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 10:00:17AM -0500, Richard Kreuter wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The getopt command line utility is included in the util-linux package
> for Linux-based architectures, and I can't find it packaged for the
> Hurd.  The upstream source (available at http://huizen.dds.nl/~frodol )
> compiles and works properly on my GNU/Hurd machine without any source
> fiddling, and so it seems that getopt doesn't depend on Linux.
>
> Should this be filed as a bug against util-linux?

util-linux needs serious work to get it to compile on the Hurd.  If you are
not volunteering to do it, a bug report will be pretty useless.  getopt
compiles and works, other programs in util-linux don't.

One idea is to split up util-linux, some of the tools can go to the
respective gnu *utils packages.  But somebody has to volunteer to coordinate
this with the respective maintainers, and nobody has stepped forward yet.

I should still have a list by Roland which files could go where, if anybody
is interested.  Another strategy is to autoconf-ise the Makefiles, or at
least make them more modular.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de