Re: getopt(1) non-linux dependent

On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 10:00:17AM -0500, I wrote:
> >
> > The getopt command line utility is included in the util-linux...
> >
> > Should this be filed as a bug against util-linux?
>
> util-linux needs serious work to get it to compile on the Hurd.  If you are
> not volunteering to do it, a bug report will be pretty useless.  getopt
> compiles and works, other programs in util-linux don't.

  I could try it.  Not everything in util-linux seems to be useable or
needed for GNU/Hurd (in particular, there are some Linux profiling
tools, dmesg, getty, more, etc.).  util-linux is a pretty motley
package.

> One idea is to split up util-linux, some of the tools can go to the
> respective gnu *utils packages.  But somebody has to volunteer to coordinate
> this with the respective maintainers, and nobody has stepped forward yet.
>
> I should still have a list by Roland which files could go where, if anybody
> is interested.  Another strategy is to autoconf-ise the Makefiles, or at
> least make them more modular.

  If these tasks can be handled by a newcomer with a fair amount yet to
learn, I'll give it a try.  I guess the first thing would be to flag
those utils that are genuinely Linux specific, and then decide whether
to split the package, right?

Give me some direction, and I'll proceed as far as I can.

Richard
kreuter@ausar.rutgers.edu