Re: [erbenson@alaska.net: Re: Still no base tarball]

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

> I would appreciate it if I could avoid to call ANY scripts.

preinst scripts are there for a good reason (I hope).
[Investigating some ...]
Most of these, though, seem concerned with upgrading from older
versions of the same (or a predecessor) package.

Short of running the scripts in a modified shell, that bailed out, if
you call any external command (so that 'if [ "$1" -eq "upgrade"]; then
do_something; fi' will be correctly ignored), I see no technical
solution.

Of course, policy could dictate a "cross-preinst" script, that would
work correctly from another platform (chrooted). Many things do work
fine this way (most filesystem frobbing). A package that provides a
"preinst" script is not cross-installable.

In summary, though, I'm not convinced that all this is necessary. Hurd
should be able to install itself. Working on that is probably more
rewarding.

--
Robbe