Re: [erbenson@alaska.net: Re: Still no base tarball]

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 06:51:50PM +0200, Robert Bihlmeyer wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:
>
> > I would appreciate it if I could avoid to call ANY scripts.
>
> preinst scripts are there for a good reason (I hope).
> [Investigating some ...]
> Most of these, though, seem concerned with upgrading from older
> versions of the same (or a predecessor) package.

Indeed.  Note that cross-install does avoid calling any scripts ever
since.

> I see no technical solution.

Well, an option for dpkg to not call these scripts is a technical solution.
It's a hacker option, for people who know what they do.  It is not
failproof, but it generally works for new installs, where only a limited set
of known packages is installed.

> In summary, though, I'm not convinced that all this is necessary. Hurd
> should be able to install itself. Working on that is probably more
> rewarding.

Oh well, it is convenient from time to time.  And would have helped me if it
had been implemented two and a healf years ago :-/

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de