Re: 30% of the archive compiled

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 05:44:39PM +0200, Robert Bihlmeyer wrote:

> "Unfortunately" our competitors are doing even better. Quite now
> oasis's CPU cycles seem to be the main bottleneck.

More or less.  Some uptime challenges are severely cramping my style. ;)

Two problems compounded:

1) Hurd will run for about 4 hours before falling over dead for me.

2) Startup time on the turtle is about 30 minutes.  Sometimes it can
take up to another hour for it to seek to where it left off.

Marcus said he has some ideas for how to improve these, though, which will be god.

(Sourceforge turtle:)
> >    There are 4316 packages in this group. 110 packages are out of date, and
> >    need to be updated. 1867 packages are missing from the binary archive.

(Oasis turtle:)
>    There are 3760 packages in this group. 92 packages are out of date,
>    and need to be updated. 1678 packages are missing from the binary
>    archive.

A few reasons.  I haven't added *all* of the packages to the turtle.
Anything that's over a meg in size for source didn't get added.  The
other problem is that it takes almost 2 hours to generate the HTML and
upload it off of my cable connection to people.debian.org.  I think I
could improve that by not 'scp -R'ing.  Apparently piping a tar
through ssh is far better, and if someone wants to improve my script:

#!/bin/bash
ssh -l jbailey www.debian.org rm -rf public_html/oasis/*
scp -r /mnt/hurd-disk1/html-dir/* jbailey@www.debian.org:public_html/oasis

feel free.  Oasis will no longer be at my house in 4 days or so, so
I'm far more concerned about figure out how I will a) keep it running
and b) enable my volunteers to sign packages.

(ps - ssh appears to work wonderfully.  Is there a trick to getting sshd working? <grin>)

Tks,
Jeff Bailey