Re: Playing with Lincity

Dios Del Tiempo <cronos1_mx@yahoo.com> writes:

> Yesterday I get the sources and compiled in Hurd, and it compiled
> only with warnings about assigning double values to int variables;
> it seems to work fine (slow but fine).

Good.

> In this weekend I'll fix this warnings and when I understand why one source
> package contains files and code of three packages (lincity, lincity-x and
> lincity-svga),

The -x and -svga binary packages are obviously two alternative
versions of the same game, that are built from the same source (but
with different configuration options). So there is only one source
package. The third binary (lincity) would be the parts of the game
common to the two alternatives (graphics data, etc).

Usually Debian source packages closely resemble the upstream source
packages (e.g. as distributed by lincity's authors). But one source
pkg may produce many binary packages, if there is significant use in
having smaller modules. Look at the X packages: xfree86 is distributed
as a huge source package, but there are people that want an X server,
but do not need twm, others may want the xlibs, but no X server, etc.
So the X source produces a plethoria of smaller binary packages.

> and how to send it to the turtle for compiling,

Lincity (and most other existing packages) are already on the turtle's
todo list, see
<URL:http://people.debian.org/~jbailey/oasis/group/Debian/package/lincity/index.html>
But the turtle is no antilope (or gnu), so it takes its time.

In the mean time, the proper way to contribute your fixes is via the
bug tracking system (<URL:http://www.debian.org/Bugs/>).

--
Robbe